Opened in 1901, Glen Echo Country Club is the oldest 18-hole golf course west of the Mississippi. Comprising 138 acres in Normandy, Missouri, the front entrance is on Lucas and Hunt Road, just south of Natural Bridge, exactly where it was in 1901.
The Wilson P Hunt, son of Ann Lucas and Theodore Hunt, gained control of the property, he built his mansion on the land. In 1896 Golf enthusiasts succeeded in negotiating a six-year lease with Hunt calling for $1,000 a year for five years and $2,000 the sixth year. The agreement also included an option, later exercised, to purchase the property for $100,000. The Hunt mansion was converted to a clubhouse, and the golf course was built, with large imported trees from France lining a number of the fairways. Colonel announced that he had contracted with a noted Chicago professional who would lay-out the course, Jim Foulis.
One of the main obstacles a club faced was getting its members to the club from their downtown homes and offices. The location of the Club to the adjacent Wabash Railroad station, which was located just to the west of the 2nd tee, with the Kirkwood-Ferguson line (one of the few main streetcars) within walking distance.
Glen Echo hosted the Men's District Championship where Dick Bockenkamp (Midland Valley) defeated Jimmy Manion (Riverview CC) 4 & 3.
Course Redesign 1921-22
"The Glen" was added in the redesign that took place during 1921-22. So well does it fit into the flow of the other seventeen that most who play it believe it to be from the original design. On hole #13 the lake originally extended across the bottom of the hill, and continued through the 12th and 3rd fairways. Carrying this with your tee shot, the 280-yard hole had a large cross-bunker in the fairway short of the hole to catch the poor approach. Hole #13 was lengthened as "Westward Ho" was re-positioned and a new tee added to "Echo."
Hole #14 has changed little since opening day, with the only bunkers added over time. In the 1921 and 1922 events, when the order in which the holes were changed, Dewdrop played as the 16th hole in the rotation. The 17th, which no longer exists as it was, played as the 10th with the 18th playing as the 11th. The players then made the short trip to the today's 10th which was their 12th of the day and the matches were to end on the 16th. Hole #6 was added during this redesign.
By 1926, the original Clubhouse was reaching fifty-years of age. With significant updating necessary to maintain it in a first-class condition, the Board made the decision to construct a new Clubhouse. The new clubhouse would be a two story structure, patterned after Old English clubs, and Preston Bradshaw, nationally known architect, was commissioned as designer. In May 1927, the current Clubhouse was completed for $250,000 located slightly west and north of the clubhouse. Shortly after that, the original Clubhouse was taken down. Today, the tennis courts stand where the original building was located.
1927 Course Redesign
It was at hole #16 here in 1940 where Betty Jameson (Texas) closed-out Patty Berg (Interlachen, MN) in winning the Women's Trans-Mississippi title 3 & 2.
Women's St. Louis District Championship, Betty Jane Haemerle (Glen Echo) defeated
Dorothy Campbell (Westwood) 11 & 9.
St. Louis Post Dispatch broke the news on November 12, 1946 that Major Albert Lambert had a heart attack and died. He served as a member of Glen Echo for 45 years serving as President and Trustee.
Robert Foulis passed away. He is buried at the family plot in Wheaton, IL.
Golf Shop was built at the end of #18. It was designed with the same look of the Main Clubhouse.
Men's State Championship, Jack Geiss (Norwood Hills) defeated Jack Penberthy (St. Louis) 4 & 2.